Wednesday, September 10, 2008

'Da Truth--L.U.P.End? Haha, You're Jokin Right? No..Really?


When listening to the tail-end Gotta Eat on Lupe Fiasco's latest album, The Cool, you'll hear him say, "will he give up his life of crime, or will he stayy? This and other adventures on Lupe Fiasco's next album L.U.P.Enndd..." as if he was announcing the next episode of the old-school Batman TV series, 50's announcer voice and all. Okk. So I just knew that this was end of the album banter just to get me excited for his next album (which worked), and kinda ignored the Enndd part. But according to Rap-Up Magazine's website --the album title confirms my greatest fear!

Following Lupe's recent performance at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards, he reportedly told Rap-Up, "I just dont really feel like rapping anymore." Whaaaattt? I mean with that ridiculous waste of air time MTV considers an awards show, I'd be a little turned off by the recording industry too, but c'mon Lupe, you don't get back like that!! He went on to say that L.U.P.End, slated to drop by the end of '09, will indeed be the end of his recording career. And no Jigga/Jordan antics here--so he says--Lupe plans to write a book and support the releases of other up-and-coming lyricists.

I'm getting pissed just writing this.

Learning this news, I couldn't help but think on Lauryn Hill's, eh departure? from the industry and all the craziness we've heard about her since, so I just pray to the good Lord that Lupe Fiasco doesn't go off on some wild, crazy tangent (He's been known to get a little of the wall here and there). By no means do I declare myself a hip-hop head, but there are a few selective rappers out there I'm really into with Lupe Fiasco being really high on that list. Just ask Spanish Harlem, you cannot debate with me about rap music without me throwing my two cents in about Lupe Fiasco. Sleep on him if you want, he gave me hope about mainstream Hip-Hop, so I'm really discouraged that he's stepping out of the game so soon.

However, I must admit this doesn't really surprise me. As jacked up as the mainstream hip-hop game is these days Lupe Fiasco barely fits in with the slew of artists who've come out over the past two-three years under the guise of Hip-Hop "artist". After all when Lupe spits about 'stack that cheese' and gold and ice and women, are you really listening to the subject matter?? He's a cut above. And by the way did you catch Lupe on the Nov. '07 cover of XXL Magazine with the title "Leaders of the New School"? Lupe--Leader--Check. The rest? Umm. No. I about bugged out when I saw that magazine with Spanish Harlem in the grocery store last year. Take one look and you'll understand what I think is a dire future for hip-hop if this is all we can look forward to, hence the reason I'm so upset. Hmmm on second thought, maybe he took a look at that cover for himself and decided he rather NOT be associated with such coonery. Oops, did I say that?

Normally, I'd include one or two of my favorite videos by Lupe, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it. I'm too upset. Peace.

HARD WORK, SECOND EFFORT, DEDICATION, LOYALTY & LOVE--Sometimes you can sacrifice it all just to realize what you worked for isn't what it's cracked up to be..