Monday, September 8, 2008

The Minority Report 1st Edition Vol. II

I thank God that Hurricane Gustav wasn't as severe as initially expected, and I'm equally thankful that evacuation efforts went a lot smoother than they did just three years ago. I don't think we'll ever forget the tragedy that went down in the U.S.A. (remember the rest of the world is dying to be like us! right.) following the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Katrina--nor do I think we should. Even today it makes me cringe to think of how embarassed I was as an American citizen as I watched New Orleans' residents struggle to hold on to their lives and their livelihood--it's something I'll never forget. In a country that boasts so much about being so great at this and that, one that claims race and class relations have made a comeup (HA!), I couldn't believe what I saw. I was working at a local Louisville news station, of all places, when the storm hit, and though coverage was extensive--folks got to see what the media wanted them to see. I was angry at the President, I was angry at Mother Nature, I was even a little angry at the people who got caught looting for items they shouldn't have been the least bit concerned in the face of such danger--I was angered and sympathetic on many levels.








In the second volume of The Minority Report, I'm posting a recent article by a good friend of mine, Phillip M. Bailey (who happens to be a phenomenal writer) who hails from Louisville, Kentucky and writes for The Leo Weekly. In this piece, he chronicled the arrival of evacuees who left New Orleans for Louisville before Gustav hit. I'm proud that in the face of Hurricane Gustav, the city of Louisville and the Louisville chapter of The Red Cross, which is actually a regional chapter, were ready this time around.

Check the link to the article: http://leoweekly.com/?q=node/7707
Also hit up Mr. Bailey's blog The SOULution--under MESSAGE!
**Photos are courtesy of Phillip M. Bailey**


HARD WORK, SECOND EFFORT, DEDICATION, LOYALTY & LOVE--It will take each element to recover from the effects of Hurricane Katrina--so much more than a devastating tropical storm. Much love to the family members and friends of my homies from Louisiana!!

No comments: