Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just Let Ya Souuulll Glowww...

I am SO glad I'm an '80's baby and grew up in the '90's, because luckily I benefitted from the tail end of when R&B was poppin'--consistently. Growing up in church singing gospel solos and whatnot, I never paid much attention to Hip-Hop unless I liked the beat (sad, I know), so naturally I gravitated more toward R&B where I could relate better to vocal ability than I could lyrical flow. And before industry execs and VIACOM made the image more lucrative than talent and art, R&B and I had a real love affair goin on..I don't think R&B really exists anymore, but boy do I miss it..To me the true test of how music can move you is how acurately a particular song can take you right back to a certain point in your life, and the last time music did that for me was during the 90's. Play me any 90's R&B hit and I can tell you what grade I was in, who I was crushin on, what the styles and trends were, you name it! But now, music just isn't as powerful or memorable as it once was, and I hate it! So I digress, lest I get all pissy..Let me start this series off with the two songs from the 90's, which are tied for my favorite songs of all time. #1 is 'Lady' by D'Angelo, and #2 is 'Diamonds & Pearls' by Prince...






HARD WORK, SECOND EFFORT, DEDICATION, LOYALTY & LOVE (of the late 80's & early 90's!)

No comments: